November 7, 2012
Fun Facts about Billy Graham
In just one year, My Hope with Billy Graham is set to be the largest North American evangelistic outreach in the history of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.
For many people, Billy Graham is a house-hold name. They’ve watched over the years as Billy Graham has preached the Gospel to more people in live audiences than anyone else in history—nearly 215 million people in more than 185 countries and territories! However, younger people may not know the name Billy Graham.
As we celebrate Billy Graham’s 94th birthday (November 7), and as we prepare for this nation-wide outreach, we wanted to let you know a little more about the man some have called God’s Ambassador.
- Billy Graham was the first of four children raised on the family’s dairy farm near Charlotte, North Carolina.
- The barn-shaped Billy Graham Library is located just 4 miles from the dairy farm where Mr. Graham grew up.
- Billy Graham grew up with dreams of playing professional baseball.
- He gave his life to Jesus Christ after hearing a traveling evangelist, Mordecai Ham, in his hometown in 1934 at age 15.
- Billy Graham met his wife, Ruth McCue Bell, while studying at Wheaton College in Illinois. Ruth was the daughter of missionaries, and lived with her family in China until she turned 17.
- His breakthrough as an evangelist came in 1949 when a three-week tent “crusade” in Los Angeles was extended to eight weeks, and national newspapers began reporting on the impact of his meetings. Other early Crusade meetings were extended, including one in London which lasted 12 weeks, and in 1957 he preached nightly for 16 weeks in New York’s Madison Square Garden (many of the New York meetings were carried on nationwide television).
- When a star was placed for Billy Graham on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1989, the chairman of the selection committee said, “I can’t think of anybody in the world who has used radio, television and motion pictures in a more positive way.”
- He has been rated by the Gallop organization as “One of the Ten Most Admired Men in the World” a staggering 55 times.
You can learn more about Billy Graham’s life and ministry here.